01 December 2011

Deaf Wish- S/T

I am a domestic dad with little bastards running through my house (six, as of one hour ago) at high speed ignoring my every command, smearing shit on the couch, torturing the dog and throwing things at my head. "I didn't mean it," is the mantra, and I wonder at the glories of the 1930s father, certain of his position, Scotch in hand, belt in the other, ruling his castle with the confidence of a man who knows his kingdom.  I know the  part of the sunken couch that I slink to when the wave passes and the video games go back on and the walls stop shaking and my bugged out eyes seek solace in a long draft beer and some Gene Clark.

So let's just say noise rock don't fit the current aesthetic, or paradigm, or pick your noun with the general meaning of model and give me a fucking break- I still own that Scratch Acid record, pull out the Laughing Hyenas late night, and find Pissed Jeans one of the three best bands of the last five years. Just don't ask me to pull out Wolf Eyes when you arrive at midnight on your bi-annual trip down wild hair lane- chances are, I'm passed out on the couch with Gram Parsons on repeat. But shiver me frayed nerve timbers, this Deaf Wish record, another Aussie missile in that island continent/nation's insidious attempt to rule our humble shores, is one effective drone.  I do believe I like every song on it, and it ain't exactly Singles Going Steady.  Screeching and pleading and fuzzing and, well, it's very noisy but you can sing along. Sort of. This shit just screams 1988-1992, if that means anything to anyone.  You could almost call it Texas acid-damaged emo if you had no shame, which I don't, so there you go.  The songs work, OK? Aristotelian catharsis is at hand. Just be glad you're not him, if you know what I mean. Now somebody tell me where I can find their other records so I can ignore the little bastards' next wave of madness.

11 comments:

Tuna said...

What an awesome picture. Btw- who the hell uses Peavey amps? Am I the only one who hears terrible tinny feedback every time I just look at them?

Sonny your reviews are terrific. Just wonderful stuff that has lead me to purchase Total Control, OBNs IIIs. I think Mitch or Mr Jones turned me on to the Chinese Burns. In any event, there has been some great stuff here reviewed of late.

It's 3AM and a few hours before I leave for work. Kids have me up. "Little bastards" indeed. Anywho, I'm going to check out Deaf Wish. Sounds HOT!

Anonymous said...

I have had a Peavey practice amp for 25 years- still works.

What do you think of Total Control and OBN IIs? Listened to the latter last night and this morning and continued to enjoy it- just easy on the ears rnr.

bruce said...

i had copies of, what are technically the 2nd and 3rd lps, though both came out before the 1st made it to vinyl, it was originally only a cd-r. i think goner still has the 3rd, called mercy. i'll see if i can get more copies of the 2nd, which i can't think of the name of right now. there is also a 7" in at goner that was put out by DX from total control if you want to try and tie this package all together.

also, i agree, love the review. can i steal it and i'll owe you the 7"?

The Tuna said...

Obn reminds me almost of the long since disbanded Problematics. Which is to say its shit hot. I can listen to that sort of crude, snotty p-rock all day.

Bruce, do you run a store on EBAY or something? You seem to have a serious record habit that I'd like to check out. Let me know where I can get Chinese Burns, Obns or anything else that fits this site's penchant for the guitar driven snotty stuff.

bruce said...

easter bilby is an aussie record distro that i run. it basically supplies me with beer and record money. i think both of the older chinese burns are sold out, but there is a new one about to come out. goner is my go to store, i'm in there once a week keeping them stocked up on the newest aussie releases, they have had the obn iii stuff, but i'm not sure what's in stock right now

Suburban Dread said...

Throwing this out there in hopes someone can help me out... Have any of you been to Chicago recently? I ask bc the wife and I are going soon for a w/e. I'm hoping to have some time to checkout neighborhoods and maybe the odd record shop. If any of you can make a recommendation I'd be hugely appreciative. There's only so much girl shopping I can stand and all my friends there live in the burbs.

Tuna said...

Ah, yhat's right! You're Easter Bilby. I'll check it out.

bruce said...

re chicago, haven't been in a few years, but i think the cool stuff is still around wicker park/ukranian village. permanent records and another one i'm spacing on right now(it's the bigger one, they have/had a store in san fran as well)

bruce said...

reckless records, also not sure what's still there but there was a really good bookstore called quimby's

bruce said...

just got a cd-r of nicks solo album, he's the guy in the left in the above picture, not the kind of thing i would normally listen to but awesome. i guess using my language it closest to someone like suicide, gtrs and keys, with awesome "stoney" lyrics

bruce said...

hey tuna and sonny, shhot me an email at bashlee 67 at gmail